Thursday, July 5, 2018

This is how it should be.

This is how Yorkshire should be. Beautiful, sunny and with very few people about.We arrived at the Cow and Calf rock by Ilkley, parked up and walked up to the top.
The first person we saw was an artist at work. Everyone else was too far away on the moors to bother me. Fabulous. Yorkshire. Just the way I like it.
Last night I printed off a map of the walks over the moors and over to some standing stones. We followed the first two stages, as it was very hot......I had no wish to burn in the sun!  So we walked up past the cafe on the ancient path to the quarry.
Hot scorching work to get to the top......Lee had with him his "new" camera he bought in a junk shop. A Sanyo video camera. He stopped at intervals to take a film and run a commentary. As I went on a head It seamed like he was talking to himself!
This is the "classic view" form the path up to the quarry.

Walking into the quarry.....I have wanted to go up to these old rocks. Today we do not have Monza dog with us. It is too hot for him any way....He is okay so long as there are no other dogs or people.....
I wanted to come here to take pictures of the faces in the stone....I can see them all the way around.
I did take loads of photos. I have yet to edit them all. these are ones I took and used just as they are.

From the quarry we walked around in amongst the rocks on little daft paths. We discovered that I could not balance straight. I was bothered about falling......so we abandoned mission and headed up a different ancient path to the top of the rocks to look down on the old quarry.....
The views were magnificent even though we were not yet even half way up....
Here is Lee in Shorts....this is as short as his shorts get. this is as much flesh as he shows ......
We walked up....and up....until we came to loads of rocks.....
Others clamber up onto the big rock that acts as a stage.........you can see for miles and miles.....
It is possible to see for miles with out getting right to the top too.....


This is as close as I get to the top and the edge.....
I could only stand and stare.....
Others have been doing just that for centurys.....and carved the rocks. I heard one lady say that it was ruined by the carvings......
Here is Lee talking to his camera.
At the top is another quarry.....

Lots of moor land....some sheep...we heard the sheep, but did not see any....

There were others about. there is so much space there is no need for public encounters.
We came down the steep path very carefully. It is very dry and dusty....
The artist guy was still at work. Not bad huh?
The view on the way down.

 The "God mob" have been up here and left this......I do not know when it was placed here!
Sing to god. Sing praises to his name, Lift up a song to him, who rides upon the clouds; His name is the lord, Exult before him.

A few people have committed suicide from the top here. I wonder if they saw this on the way to the edge? Is that why it is here? anyway....I was not even brave enough to go to the edge never mind jump off. I can tell you that it is very very high. the pictures do not really show this. Lee I notes did not even go as close as I did.....Lee will climb a ladder. I will not even do that!!!
more carvings of names mementos .......days out trips camping and holidays from the past.







These teenagers had no fear. they were up there shreeking with their mobile phone cameras......
And this guy with no shirt. I bet he roasted to bright red.

We managed not to burn. we were up there about two hours. I made sure I kept turning around so the sun did not burn me on the back of my neck!!!
So we left the rocks and went into Ilkley.
We parked up by Boyes and quickly looked around. I did not even go to the haberdashery this visit as I was very very hungry....so we went for lunch after very quick visit to charity shops.

It was all a bit of a disappointment after the views from the top of those rocks!


1 comment:

polkadothill said...

this made my night!!!! glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...