Wednesday, July 18, 2018

York. Heading home.

We Went around the corner from the church and went to have a look at the Jorvik centre and Coppergate shopping centre.
A busker was playing an Alanis Morrisette song. Whining away which resounded all up the street as we approached. Not a crowd pleaser.
As there was a massive crowd and very long cue waiting to go to the Jorvik centre it was a bit of a pity. We had the option of walking on. So we did.
" over the last thirty years the Jorvik centre has revolutionised the heritage attraction experience., bringing the past to life like never before" says the blurb about this place.
The Jorvik is actually below this shopping centre,
Has it really been here thirty years?! was it really thirty years ago that I went here when it first opened?
YES! oh dear.that is nearly my whole life time ago!!!! It was on one of my first trips with my ex husband. We had just got married and were coming back from Whitby where we had gone to see my Grandmother. It was the first time that she met him. I had spent the last three years not telling her about him and certainly not letting on that we lived together......
And Yes it was fantastic! and yes! I can just about remember. I would love to go again now (this life this year) the cues were long....and it costs £11.00 per person. This was not happening ! so we marvelled at the length of the cue of depressed people and walked towards the York castle Museum.
Just on the outskirts of the shopping centre is a Church. It is now a community centre sometimes an arts centre and at the moment it is a drop in centre for The York Castle Museum. It is no longer a consecrated church, but the interior s and grave stones etc are all still there....or a few at least.
So far on this visit to York I had not come across my old friends the Mauleverer family. I knew I would. I went inside this church because I know this is where  James Mauleverer was buried after he died in prison. The York castle . This church was pretty much where they ended up from this prison.
Inside there were a selection of curators of this museum. The church is currently being used as a drop in centre . The York castle museum is being redesigned and they are looking for ideas. I wandered in and they all just happened to be there. I asked about the prisoners who died at York and where their graves might be.?? the answer is I am afraid that they are under the Coppergate shopping centre.
Though they did recommend that I write to the museum and ask about this prisoner, as "some one will know. There are loads of us all with different areas of expertees!".....
So that I will do. Earlier in the day I had come across Margaret Clitherow who's maiden name was Middleton. The Middleton's married the Mauleverers...so there had been a slight pull on the chain.....
Next we came to Cliffords tower. The Mauleverers were related to the Cliffords by marriage as well. I was not going to get away without meeting my old friends the Mauleverers was I!?
Cliffords tower....One of the most iconic places in York...this 11th century tower. It is a medieval castle and the site of a massacre in 1190 of the Jewish population of York. The entire Jewish population of this city were trapped here and besieged by an angry mob.  Many chose to commit suicide rather than be murdered or forcably baptised by the attackers.


We headed down to the river, as we knew we were in the right direction for the Fonz car. We came to King Staith and yet another of my fave pubs. In fact my all time favourite.
The Kings Arms "the pub that floods". It was a 16th century customs house before it became a pub. The sign has a depiction of Richard 111 who grew up at Middleham castle and often visited York from Sheriff Hutton.
King Staith is also where the river Cruise boats land. It was always fabulous to sit outside this old pub and watch the river. There used to be an Indian restaurant just next to the pub. I remember one visit.... Ex husband and I were going to split up (Again) and we had stopped at York  for a couple of nights. I can not now remember why we fell out but we did this night in that restaurant. I cried the whole time we were in the restaurant. Ex ordered me a meal and just let me sob. The waiters ignored me in tears and ex ate his food and ignored me also. I did not eat my dinner. He did ! after he finished his own.
That's the trouble with York. I used to come here with my ex husband.....The memories are everywhere. Lee and I have no history in York. this was only the second time we had been together to wander about. ....

Now quickly we went. We had been gone far too long. Monza dog was waiting....
So back towards the gardens by the ruins of St Mary's Abbey. Not quite the way we came....
Past The Judges Lodgings....gorgeous place. I used to go here as well......
Menu still looks good......
When Lee saw how much the sandwiches were he turned pale at the thought......
Back through the Yorkshire Museum gardens....some old tomb stones as decoration in the flower beds....
Why not?
The Sun was out and people all out.....picnics on the grass and school trips as the end of term and summer holidays beckon.
The ruins of St Mary's abbey and the Yorkshire Museum.....The museum cost £7.50 each. This used to be free........
This is the hospium and dates from the 14th century. It can be hired for weddings.....
Wouldn't you?
It is licenced to hold civil ceremonies......
The Hospitium
And this is what it looks like inside....... I looked through the window! (this is not my picture...I "borrowed it ")

Out through the ruined arch and straight next door to St Olaves Church......
It is deadicated to St Olaf the patron saint of Norway.
And that concluded our visit to York.


No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...