Thursday, July 19, 2018

Headingley and a suprise


 I did not get up at daft o'clock to photograph the light coming up. I did get up...but just to make tea. I am on holiday. Tea is as good as it gets now, I am still lucky enough to be able to get up and drink tea, so I should shut up about it. I am seeing another summer. And what a summer! it is going to be red hot today too.
Monza dog is suffering with the heat...he is a big hairy German Shepard and we are having to be so careful with him.....keeping him cool and not walking him too far in the heat. We have been keeping in the shadows and going early. He has still been sick and had an upset tummy though. We got back from York and discovered that he had his upset in the sunroom. A lot of upset! Part of that would be because I left him to go on an outing without him. Casper dog did almost the same thing when I had to go back to work and leave him in Bath.





Monza is fine now I have cooked him chicken and rice and brushed him! So this day we walked Monza and then went to Headingley. As I know he is okay in the car. There is a car park with air conditioning just by the supermarket! he is fine there he just has a doze whilst we look in the junk shops and buy him more chicken.
the neighbour told me that he howled for about an hour after we left to go to York. So he got himself well and truely stressed. There is no way I could have left him in the car whilst we walked around York, so he did not know it but he was in the best place. Unfortunately he thought I had abandoned him.
Was the day out in York worth it? I really do not have much luck with visiting York. usually something goes wrong whilst I am there ..... York is beautiful. I love it. It is just really bad luck Karma or whatever you wish to call it. For example...I have lost two liberty scarves, been really ill/stressed/unhappy.....lost a few times...deluded on more than one occassion....disapointed....hated...rejected....broke...scared...lonely....chucked out of a pub....refused service in another....... all of this in York on various visits. Ex husband and I were going to split up (we should have too!!) . I went to Whitby on my own to visit my Grandma.... I had booked To stay in the Black Swan on Peasholm green in York on the way back. I called Ex to meet me at the pub. We got back together. Whilst I was waiting for him in the bar I started to chat to some people who came there every Friday night as their treat. I told them who I was waiting for and why. So when mr Ex arrived everyone was expecting a happy ending. Mr ex was left with no choice but to play to the crowd. He probably would have told me to "stuff it" but for this....as I now know he was seeing someone else. He was always seeing someone else the entire time, but I did not know that on that afternoon in York. So York is done for now. We have had our day out. We can leave it alone now for a while.


So Headingley today! first the Charity shops. I love the charity shops in Headingley as they are all stuffed with 1970s and 1980s stuff. This is all so fashionable now and it makes me giggle alot! the prices are really high too, but that is a different matter.
So this week.....The Woolworths 1960s doll in the box with spare welly boots is still there for £20.00. And NO I am still not going to spend £20.00 to buy her. and this week there was another....a Chiltern walker doll from the 1950s for £35.00 and in really good condition, except the wig(which is easy to replace) . Like I say expensive....


A rag doll made from a 1970s pattern. this one was £5.00. I was tempted but we have no money until Friday and it is a case of do we want lunch? or a rag doll.
So I chose lunch.!!!!
This shop were promoting wedding dresses which they have in stock. Look at the Dupion silk dress on the far left....pure 1980's. That colour! never seen before or after. I remember selling the fabric. I had a staff member who called this "baby poo green...."
We walked all the way up the street with charity shops to the Skyrack pub. Usually we turn here and go to the supermarket.....
"St Michael's church!!! I have never been. I spent a lot of time going from The skyrack to the Original oak...but I have never set foot inside the church. Never even thought about it" stated Lee "let's go in!"
The lights were on and people were inside drinking coffee. The vicar came out and welcomed us. In we went. before we knew it we were handed a guide to all the stained glass windows and told a brief history.......
Designed by J.L Pearson in 1884. This is the same guy who designed Truro cathedral and was the architect to have if you wanted to build a church! (I lived in Truro !)
The style is Gothic revival and it is very beautiful indeed.


We circled the interior of the church and I took pictures of the stained glass. This is really why I like churches...the stained glass colours and the light through the colours.
The guy who gave us the guide told us that this church was not usually open unless there is a service. They were all there today having a meeting and drinking coffee so we were in luck.
Lee spent much time in the pubs. Visiting churches and museums is something he "got from me" so to have him point one out and suggest we go in was a new one!
Here is the guide we were given on the way in....I photographed it so that I could read it later.....

Lee lived in Headingley way back in his Rock years and his fave two pubs were the one just by the Headingley Cricket ground.
At that time a church would never have interested him at all. He said he did not even notice it really at the time.









This war memorial now has railing around it. It did not back in Lee's days. This is where everyone sat between the two pubs in the sun....that way you could easily alternate between the two. So basically it was possible to drink at two pubs at the same time whilst sitting on this memorial.

" indeed" said Lee as I read him this.

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

the stained glass is really lovely............! so cool that lee wanted to explore... hope Monza is feeling better now that York has been visited.....fun dolls, loved the walker doll!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...