Sunday, July 29, 2018

A ruin, some rain and Yorkshire puds

It is raining. Comment worthy only because we have all fried to a decent golden colour in the sun. This is very unusual for Yorkshire. So when the  rain returns we all start  our winging selves and talk about the weather again. In the sun you see there are many more topics of conversation, not just our selves, our bad health and the weather. The sun not only brings out people clad to show tattoos and a lot of skin it also brings out hope and energises us to go other places, eat outside and generally enjoy.

That would be except the poor sods who died of heat. We saw the "private ambulance" from a local undertakers three times yesterday. Lee said it was the same one on different trips.
this morning then finds me drinking tea in bed. it is raining as i said and i can here the rythum of the drips coming in through the flat roof on the sun room. The garden and house are getting a though watering inside and out. My garden as a consequence is looking so beautiful. The effort of all the tip runs , weeding and digging in of new trees has really paid off now.
The rain has cooled down the air and so we all piled into the Fonz car and went to Spofforth castle ruins. The sun did come out between showers of rain....it was what I would call a lovely day.
 Spofforth how it was back in the days of the Lords of the manor. I cut across the grass and headed straight to the ruin. in these days of 2018 I had with me two Barbie dolls and A Gene Doll to photograph. They have nothing to do with the history of the place....it is just something I do. take dolls out and photograph them in places I like.
 Spofforth is a really pretty ancient village with a gorgeous church. This part of Yorkshire is referred to as The vale of York. Some of the houses and cottages are really dreamy. I would love to live here. I expect it is too expensive for me and Lee. I can tell by the menu at the pub that it is ! so to the ruin I went this day .This castle has withstood the wars of the roses, the hundred years war and the civil war.
 It is a very romantic ruin once the family strong hold of the great Percy family. This family controlled Yorkshire. The king had no power here except through this family. The De Percy family
were awarded these lands when they came with the Normans and this was their main residence until the 14th century.

 In these times Spofforth was a manor house surounded by a huge estate, park land and a lake.
Spoffoth castle  would have been more like a comfy manor house rather than a drafty castle. The parts of the court yard and principle chambers still remain. The court yard and parts of the inner chambers were hune into the rocks here. Turretts stood around the gate house and faced towards the village and church.
In 1461  the 3rd Earl of Northumberland was defeated and killed at the battle of Towton.
 castle/house was badly damaged in retribution. by 1577 it was was pretty much a ruin.
 The wars of the roses were fought between the houses of York and Lancaster for the English throne. The battle of Towton in 1461 was a decisive victory for the Yorkists. The 3rd Earl of Nortumberland. Henry Percy (1421-1461), who was one of the leaders in the Lancastrian forces was killed.
 This is how Spofforth would have mapped out in those days and this is how it is today....
 I cut straight to the front of the ruined castle , put down my bag and camera on the grass and busied myself putting dolls on stands. I ignored the children watching. They must have seen a Barbie doll before right?
 Barbie with dreadlocks and a guitar....
 I found this girl in a charity shop. She already had the dreadlocks. I have tried looking her up....I think she is from Mattel and came with a purple PVC suit.
 I took a few photos here and then walked round to the other side and went into the castle...... I passed and read all the notices/plaques on my way .

 So indeed welcome to Spofforth Castle....Here is Gene Doll.
 the first chambers. The doors and arches as entrance are tiny! this does not really show in these photos....they were really little in those days!

 The arch on the right would have lead to a spiral staircase to the turret...it has been closed off. I did look!!!
 The main hall.....
 leading to the castle's own chapel.
 This is how it would have looked...and here I photographed Barbie...Totally hair which I got for my birthday from Lee. This is the 25th anniversary reproduction doll.
 I like the look of this. I would be tempted to buy all this and restore it.  That would be if I had a few million pounds. As I do not do the lottery or have a fabulous business brain this is not going to happen. so I settle on a few photos every now and then.
 This is a fave ruin. There are two good reasons for this...it is near to my home and the site is free to visit.
 Now it is Sunday morning. the rain continues " proper proper wiggling" as Lee so eloquentlyut it.
" not much going on with the Fenix car today them" he stated bringing me more tea.
The time has run on and I need to get on my green uniform and go.


 Last night coming home I spotted a rainbow. by the time I had got home and got my camera it faded away.



Though I did get this picture of the swans in the wonderful light of the evening.



Back I will be later for Sunday roast of Yorkshire puds, gravy and chicken.
I have plenty more photos to show but I have to go now. 






No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...