Monday, July 23, 2018

Sheena. A Birthday present.




 Sheena. A doll made by Palitoy.
The Caselloid Doll company was founded by Alfred Edward Pallett  in Coalville Liestershire in 1919. The originally made celluloid fancy goods. their first toy was 1920 and their first doll was 1925.

dolls of the 1960's link.....


    I collect dolls from the 1960's early 1970's. Palitoy dolls are my favourite. I have a few now. They all have very pretty faces.
 Other stuff they made are Action man. Tressy, Tiny tears, Pippa, Play-doh and Care bears.









I have just this week bought a doll for my birthday this year on July 22nd 2018.  I now share my birthday with Prince George who is five years old. The papers and magazines are full of it, which adds to the excitement of me having one more birthday. It has been in doubt previously but my good luck is holding so far.
This was the original doll that I bought for my birthday. I ended up loosing count as to how many....This was the first, so this is the one I will blog about first. I bought her for myself as last year and previous years for a while I have been disappointed. I thought I was easy to buy for. So I made sure. Then it all got well out of hand....I had about 12 different dolls in various conditions and ages actually on the day....then some more imminent from Ebay.....and then some more again emigrating to Yorkshire from California. Like I say...out of hand! So we have this 57 year old child finally owning dolls she wanted as a child! I will add here that I had lots of dolls. My father even bought me a pram to put them all in. Some of the dolls I now have collected again or similar.

This is her original box and outfit......
Image result for palitoy sheena doll
Sheena doll is a teenagerl developed in the late 1960's and released in the early 1970's. This is a "grow hair doll". this enables the doll to change hair styles from a bob to long tresses involving a button. This button is on her stomach. when pressed it releases the magic hair which can then be pulled gently until her hair lengtheAs. afterwards the strands can be wound back using a winding pully on the dolls back.
Tressy doll was the original doll to have this power of the famous "grow hair" a Palitoy doll produced under licence from the American Character Doll Company. Her advertising slogan was "But HOW does Tressy's hair grow?"  1964! I would have been 3 years old then. and you know what? I do not own a Tressy. I guess this should be the next doll to buy for my 1960's doll collection.
Palitoy were very pleased with the Tressy doll and in 1974 they produced Sheena. An 18 inch sophisticated teenager doll. with glamorous clothes. There are a number of patterns still available for making her clothes. both knitting and sewing and crochet....




And an Emu knitting book I found on EBay.

Here she is in the crocheted dress from the Sheena patterns available...
Image result for Sheena dolls


Image result for Sheena dolls


and a different box and outfit.



1 comment:

polkadothill said...

very cool!! I love reading the history of these!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...