Saturday, July 7, 2018

One last time

She sells sanctuary. The Cult. 1985. This was my " costume" for the day. A goth for just one day. Back in the times of 1980's I wore black. if it was not black I would not bother with it. I got married in black at Bath registry office. It did not work out very well for me but that is besides the point.
Now....that would be the 2018 now time I wear white.


The Cult. She sells sanctuary 

My t shirt says SHE SELLS SANCTUARY.  What I actually sold was ship loads of beer. A very very very lot of beer. Some of this beer I had never even seen before. I sold so much beer the carrier bags ran out. I also sold a lot of gin. Gin is the thing to have also. I sold gin of every colour and every flavour in exotic bottle and cheap saver gin. A lot of this I had never seen the like before, even back in the 1980's when it was fashionable before and I used to drink it.

Quite a day . The sun was up and out early. Yeadon had it's carnival and England won a football match against Sweden. Meanwhile I spent the day dressed as a Goth. Most people just looked at me a bit funny...or did not notice at all. Others asked to take my photo and then there was always the "daft one"....That would be the one that asked(and I quote here!)...
" Do you sell sanctuary? What's that then? Is it a health drink? No? Goth? The cult? Ah thought it were a health drink!"
If I remember right and I certainly do not remember clearly...there was nothing what so ever healthy about the 1980's...speaking from a personal point of view and the Cult as a band hit the end as they became collective alcoholics....as did a lot of us. I survive to tell you and here I am all dressed as a Goth for one last time.



 At the time that we went over to see the Yeadon carnival I was the only person dressed up. A few kids had on princess outfits but that was that for dressing up. Later I encountered Danny from Grease, Kylie and some 1980's leg warmers and pom poms. The theme this year was Music through the ages. .....




 The sun was very hot. The sun's heat soaked it's self into my black outfit. I began to melt. We did a quick circuit of the cricket ground .... look at the stalls.....

past this girl band doing Karaoke with proud parents looking on....They were just on  Kim Wilde's " Kid's in America"........(from 1981!!!) 

 We encountered this lovely dog. He was so chilled out. he could not care less and was not bothered about people petting him and talking to him. He is an assistance dog and had his owner with him. No one took any notice of the guy.....
 This bungee jumping machine. This is what to do with kids.......
 The old cars .....
 And some shop windows on the way home,,,hey remember this old cassette player?
Bay city rollers??? oh yes. I am of that age. The kids now have to learn this as a history lesson.

So England won their football match. The yelling. singing and beer swilling went on long into the night. I never saw a sober person...mostly guys and neighbours all singing and stumbling along with "football's coming home" wafting through the hot air.
3pm yesterday was kick off. This match is about to become a legendary piece of history. When in years to come people will ask.......
"where were you at 3pm on july 7th 2018?.....the match that got England to the semi finals against Croatia........."

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

lovely in black as well as white!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...