Thursday, May 24, 2018

Dolls. Quite simply dolls!!!


 
This is my latest addition to my 1960s doll collection.
This girl is a Roddy doll and is about 13 inches tall. She looks to me very like a doll I had in the photo below. This is why I bought her.



I found this doll on ebay. This is the one I have been looking for. The photo above is me and a doll my Grandma bought me . I am in the garden of Scalefoot farm near Whitby. I no longer have the doll in the photo. That was one of the dolls that got dumped when we moved from the farm.
In fact all my dolls got dumped. so here I am at the age of 57 buying a doll similar to one I had as a child!!!!


This girl arrived yesterday in the midst of the car fixing fiasco....along with a wig for another doll below.
I had a pram at Scalefoot farm which my father bought specially for me to put in all my dolls.....I had a lot! I remember him writing to pram manufacturers asking for a pram for "his daughters birthday" for her dolls. I remember him showing me the letter before he gave it to the postman who called at the farm to post. We did that in those days......those days being the early 1960's.
The pram I think was a silver cross small pram from Guiseley factory. When I first came back to Yorkshire eleven years ago this enormous site was still in existence. The factory was knocked down and it is now an enormous housing estate.


I just bought this one too. This is also from the 1960's and has no markings......


.This girl I think may be a bit later as now that I have washed and combed out her hair she has a very obvious" feather cut " and this style was very early 1970's wasn't it!?

Here they both are,......The little Roddy girl arrived with no clothes. No problem I have a stash......

Other dolls I have aquired recently.....


And I am restoring a 1950's walker  doll with old scary wig and glue on her face......
 The new wig arrived and I put it in place ready to glue later on.....At the moment she has on her original clothes and bonnet. I will be making her a new outfit......
 I was not going to put a new wig on this doll. I had removed the old one and all the glue from her head and face. There is moulded hair under this wig. But she just did not look right......


This is how she arrived .  I still need to slightly repaint her face and put back her teeth which fell out.....


Next I bought this composition doll.....with a damaged face......


 I quite liked it like this. But this was not the point of my purchase. Composition dolls are something I have few of. In good condition they are very expensive. So I decided that I wanted to restore a doll....
 I cleaned her up....and used Milliput filler   
 Then after much sanding.....I repainted the whole head.

This is the result of my first restoration.





No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...