Sunday, September 23, 2018

Salt. David and Gene.

 Get up! you can write your blog later. So I did just that as I have this Sunday to do just as I like. And what is it that I like? well this Sunday we are going to the tip shop at Kirkstall, the toy shop on the new trading estate and then Kirkstall Abbey. I have it in mind to go to Hunger hills woods as well.....but Lee screwed up his nose at the suggestion. Lets see how far we get shall we?
So blog later today , So you all will have to wait to find out how we found Salt's mill on a Saturday.

Right. Where were we? Salt's Mill at Saltaire Bradford is where we went on Saturday. This week we parked further away from the church in the park actually for Salt's mill. Both are magnificently HUGE!.This left us with a short walk but hey Monza dog was far enough away from people to doze and not consider barking his head off in a frenzy. The church bells were ringing as we approached and this could only be for a wedding....so we headed to the church first in the hope of a glimpse of the bride arriving.
There were people arriving dressed for a wedding and a man at the gate stopping anyone not involved from going up to the church.....Lee did not want to hang around and wait for the bride to arrive so this is the only picture.

In to the Salt's mill building we went.....and to the shop part first..........


It is a shop and gallery housing huge pieces of art, furniture and stacks of books...all of which I wanted the moment my eyes glimpsed the splendour of the layout.
It is all very posh, very expensive and very ordered in the interior design of the place, and is all perfectly symmetrical.  I got Lee to stand or sit in the photos to add a bit of friendly character.....a homely cosy environment it is not. Very very and I say again VERY huge it is!
Tables are laden with tempting art book and walls with modern art some of which is for sale.
others are on a plinth, beautifully positioned for photos.......the lighting is sublime!
Lee looks quite small . he was quite small in that building....
David Hockney.
David Hockney was born in Bradford in 1937. He is the UK's greatest living artist . He is still working and innovating constantly. Salt's mill has been displaying his work for over 30 years. I remember this all being renovated and opening to the public. Johnathan Silver got the keys to the place in 1987 and created the 1853 gallery. Then he filled it with art by David Hockney who was his friend and fellow Bradfordian. 
Why 1853  gallery? well that was the year that the mill first opened.



There are so many things to go OOOHHHH!!! over and here is Lee with a big chair.
Salt's mill is gigantic and is stuffed with art, flowers, food and books. If you like all these things it could turn out an expensive day.
Filling this vast space with art was an audacious move....oh yes. I just got that word from their website. Good isn't it? and Audacious it most certainly is....A grade 11 listed Victorian industrial space filled with art. Some of it hanging from the  old steam pipes.
A large piece by Ann Graves. I photographed the plaque.....


So that I would know all about it when it came to writing this part.

We went from the shop up and up worn stone steps where feet had trodden up and down on work shifts at this old textile mill . The stone steps also are vast and long and very hard for this old lady to balance and climb. this old lady got to the top and thought that she would take the nice modern lift down....even though the damn things scare me. rather scared than heart attack my lovelies. so there I was going through another heavy creaking door to the historical part of the mill....all about Titus Salt and his building of Saltaire village.

Salt's mill opened in 1853 as Titus Salt's vision of a better future. He had this huge mill built for his own industry by the Leeds Liverpool canal and the River Aire. Saltaire was built outside the mill gates as a modern environment for his workers to live.
Salt's mill was really the place to work and live back in the day. I love this picture....
Here is another detail....


and another...here with the alpacas that made his woollen mix fabric so different from his competitors and what made him so rich.......Alpacas or Llamas. the first Yorkshire Llama farmer.

Salt's mill continued to produce cloth until 1986 and then it stood empty . Johnathan Silver then bought it and filled it with art and life again.
Johnathan Silver (1949-1997) Was born in Bradford and went to Bradford Grammar school. His interest and suport for David Hockney started at this school. He later went to Leeds university to study Art history and textiles.
He had great entrepreneur skills all along and soon owned 13 menswear shops across the country by 1979. also a clothing factory...Noble Crest...and a shop called art and furniture in Manchester.In 1979 he sold his Johnathan Silver chain to to John Michael group  sold or closed his other business's and went into partnership with Sir Ernest Hall.
1983 he bought Dean Clough in Halifax Where he did a similar thing. He sold this. pocketed the money and then travelled the world with his wife.

Titus Salt.
Stuff , furniture,,,,that belonged to Titus Salt.

Model of Salt's mill. Now you really see how vast this place is........

From here we climbed again and came to the David Hockney exhibition.
The arrival of spring.



This exhibition is right next to the restaurant, Tempting smells wafted past us as we looked at these gorgeous pictures.
I have just spent my day putting my garden to bed for winter. I am absolutely tired out as I have brought in all my pots of geraniums and palm trees. I am greatly looking forward to spring as I plant loads of bulbs this autumn.....tons of daffodils, snow drops and aconites.
I love autumn. but I am still looking forward to spring. As I put my garden to bed I was thinking that I can expect to be here still for spring! This morning a letter from the hospital arrived inviting me for my yearly check, they are looking for cancer. At this time of writing  I do not have cancer. Until they find more I will be seeing another spring, so I look a head with respect and anticipation.






We came down in the small modern lift. I hate lifts. Though I did have to face the fact that I could not have got back down that many stairs without falling. You think I am being negative? no. just practical. I know how far I can push this body...when it's had enough...that is that. those stairs were enough. You try them and see how you fair!
Out of the lift I got very quickly and went back to look at the delicious treasures on offer in the shop.
Look and drool. I wanted every one of these books ....
especially this one.
all these......
I am a fashion college graduate by the way...so these books are "just me"...I have a fair few....but none of these!!!!
We headed towards the door...or I should say Lee did. By now he was looking scared and his wallet was beginning to scream in agony.
At first I thought he had left on GPS on his mobile phone...then I realised it was his debit cards grumbling.
Art coloured pencils in lovely clour order and in tins.....Now I could have gone wild on this lot....
Sketchbooks and plain notebooks all stacked up. these are a fave too... I love them all new and stacked up like this. I would never use them...just pick them up and turn them around.....Lee by now was at the door holding it open....
I stopped to check out the last table of art books....
Said thank you to Mr Salt and we were on our way back to the Fonz car. Lee was greatly releaved that I did not find anything to buy......

Oh but I did. Just everything.
Past the building and chimney stack....And on we went to Shipley and Asda. There I was allowed to buy some food for the evening dinner.......











Sunday night now and I still have not finished this. sorry folks...I am on it now.
This morning there was no great lights in the sky but i went out any way because I needed to take the little composition doll back to the old guy at the boat house.
I had done as much as I could for the doll and it was time to return her, After all she was not mine.
I took along Gene "love at first sight"...There was not really a lot doing in the way of light or interesting sky.....
I did not go all the way around...i just went as far as the swans and had a chat briefly with the old guys. I knew  I was going on a dog walk so it was not that important today.
usually I am not around for the sunday dog walk. ...any way these turned out to be the only good photos I took today as the ideas of Kirkstall abbey and Hunger hills woods all came to nothing as Lee would not wait in traffic when we came out of the tip shop. so that was that for a Sunday.



And now I must leave you and go to sleep. It turns out that I am not on holiday tomorrow as I booked. And yes they can just change it. so "they " have,

This is a fabulous print that you can buy me for Christmas if you like...it is Milner Field. It is the house built by Titus Salt's son.
Milner Field Poster by Simon Palmer

It is for sale at Salt's Mill shop and the artist is Simon Palmer. It is the house Milner field by moon light,

Milner field.
commissioned and built in 1869 for Titus Salt JR. It was reputed to be haunted and all occupants had incredible bad luck. It is now disappeared after becoming a ruin. It was once one of the most opulent mansions in the North of England and no expense was spared in the design and decorations.
Titus Salt jr died young and the house was left to James Roberts and his family.Bad luck struck them from the first day. The first son died of pneumonia, the second son drown and the third died of an unexplained illness. The last son was badly injured in the great war. The daughter Alice....who was married , had a very public affair and so her husband murdered her lover and caused a big scandal!
The next occupant of Milner field died of hiccups.....

So with that I leave to sleep. My next day out has got to be to find where this house was don't you think?

No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...