Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Saltaire. Don't tell Titus......

Last week we came to saltaire for a quick look. There is no such thing in Saltaire. Being quick is not possible as time to stand a wonder is required. We came back this week again to wonder at all the bits we missed last week.
This is a village built by Titus Salt or Sir Titus Salt as he became after Queen Victoria knighted him for his great works.....and was built for his workers as he saw so much poverty and polution in the area and actually did something about it.

First he had built this massive Salt's mill which is ideally places by the canal and river which makes it easy for transporting of his goods.
This architect designed village has everything....a park, church, hospital, shops and really beautiful houses complete with stained glass windows built in the arts and crafts style. My favourite of all time. I still have a lot of my William Morris and Pre-Raphalite  bits I collected to refurbish a house in Truro.....
First we walked down to Robert's Park. Lee had never been here before either.........
And here we are with Titus Salt in Robert's park Saltaire.


Do you see the Llamas here? well Llamas wool in Sir Titus Salt's wool mix fabric made his product unique and he made a great fortune from this beautiful mix. So he was the original "Llama farmer" in this area! And you know what I did not know all this either until I looked it up. I kept seeing Llamas in stained glass windows and statues in the park......
I have been here eleven years and this is the first time I have been here. Very very remiss of me......



Even the park benches are beautifully designed. Salt's mill must have been the place to work back in the day.

Everything about Saltaire is beautiful.....





I love it! we live just ten minutes from here. Saltaire  will now become a weekly trip along with Otley and Ilkley......I have discovered so many new things now...do I have enough days off in the week now? to visit everything? No?

I showed Lee the Boat house pub and wanted coffee here.....No chance Lee would spend that much money!!!! I will get lunch or coffee at least here....it is a case of location location  location isn't it? as I looked at the menu and it is just oridinary pub grub apart from that.
It actually is a converted boat house....

The Park is stunning.....
lots of squirrels, people, children and kids on bikes...care is needed if you wander around with a camera as one kid nearly had me in the water....they don't look out for you.....this you have to do for yourself.
We wandered around the rest of the old village and came to Saltaire college and the Victorias rooms.....


This is available for functions and open to the public...so in we went.....wedding hire all that can go on here....



Entrance.....
Can we go and look we asked?
The theatre......



upstairs funtion room...this is one of the big ones......






View of all the students on their first day at college...induction day.....


Llamas!!! they brought all this about in a way. The Incas quite rightly worshiped them. They bread heards specially for their coats to weave, Then the Spanish Conqistadors came and killed them all.....
Theatre from the balcony....

I love the lions!!!!!!




We were about to way and rescue Monza dog who was still in the Fonz car...I went back and took more photos of the lions.....

This is a restaurant. Don't tell Titus....so I liked the name so much I have called this days blog the same.

We parked the Fonz car opposite the church and Monza dog was sitting up watching the throngs of new students being lead around the village by their teachers having the history of the places regaled to them ....He was not barking at them as they passed close to the car either...people on mobile phones.....even a woman making a right hash of parking, nudging our battered old fonz car as she manoeuvred.....he was fascinated. So were we. It is a good job Fonz car is already a dinted wreck.!!!!


Saltaire! the photos from this visit. I will not be publishing these as an album on facebook . I know it is possible to "down load " from here. too...... Facebook it is possible to share.....this is fine. I have no problem with sharing because then I get credit as my photos are water marked. Downloading them is quite another matter....as then that is using my work.  If you want photos for your own use go and take your bloody own. Downloading and printing is stealing of my copyright.

No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...