Sunday, August 12, 2018

A little composition doll.

 A few months ago now I woke up and thought ....... I am glad that I am still able to do this so I got to thinking as I looked around my doll collection that I had no composition dolls. That is to say in short that I woke up and decided to just buy an old compo doll.And this I did. My first compo doll was the girl on the right in the photo above.
I paid about £5.00 for her.Tthere are scratches but otherwise not in bad condition. She is unmarked and came just as you see her. I have not repaired her at all.
 With the success of my first purchase I decided to go on and buy another doll to repair. I bought some Milliput repair filler and some acrylic paint. I already have loads of acrylic paint...but for some reason I thought this type of face paint would be different to what I have in my stash. It is not. in fact what I have is better.....
 This is my girl after much restoration, and a repaint.


 This is the same doll before I began......
She is a G&S composition doll. Gans and Seyferth. 1901- 1930 a German company.
The doll I found has a cloth body and I think the original dress. As you see the composition was in a very bad state. In fact It was much worse than it looks and I canot now find any more pictures in the original state.
I filled all the cracks and lumps with Milliput and then sanded. Then I sanded a very lot more. After this Lee looked at the surface of her face with a torch and magnifying glass and guess what he told me to sand it some more.
Then I cleaned the surface with surgical spirit and repainted her. simple really! very very very time consuming. 

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

the dresses for these dolls are over the top fabulous too!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...