Saturday, February 17, 2018

The loft.



The loft.

I have been up and moved some stuff and furniture already this morning. I brought down a chest of drawers too.
It is time this room got some use. It cost me a small fortune to make!!! why did I get a loft conversion ? well the answer is that Lee saw one of a builders houses on this terrace and then just wanted one.
I went along with it in all innocence not thinking about the total mess and destruction this would cause. Our builder knocked out the ceiling totally on the top floor and took out all the walls on the next level which houses the bathroom and bed room. This rendered the top two floor uninhabitable and left us with no bathroom or toilet for weeks and weeks. We used the loo at the local supermarket.....this opened at 7am and closed at 9pm. !!!!! yep really.
The Bratz collection has now moved in. The Barbies and raggies are on their way. This is all good as it now leaves my log cabin reasonably empty which is something I have tried to achieve since I got it.

So the loft. Here is Lee dismantling a desk we "acquired" whilst working on the van as "a man with a van" self employed business. We were given or kept stuff from house/garage clearance jobs that would otherwise have gone to the rubbish tip. A lot of stuff was just kept because we intended to either sell it or use it ourselves. consequently the loft and the log cabin were stuffed full of "junk" or rather stuff I intended to paint and use as display. Quite often this never happened and so ten years worth of useful items got stacked up.....
The same with this Ikea bed. It was something we rescued thinking that we would make this loft into a bedroom for visitors. That of course never happened  either and the bed got covered in christmas decorations and soft toys and raggy dolls......we realised that firstly this room was never going to be used unless we cleaned it all out. AND.... so who would  be coming to stay anyway? well the answer is no one.  So we dismantled and took the bed to the tip along with the desk and christmas decorations. There are also loads of suspect clothes from other eras too...like military jackets rock n' roll tassly jackets     ripped jeans.....ten years of paperwork...all totally shot! Then of course there is the guitar collection as well from another era...the rock n'roll years. the drum kit was sold last year....

there is still a wooden box full of dress up costumes from past Halloweens, some I brought with me from Cornwall...sequined articles....platform boots that type of thing. I have kept these as really you never know when you might need a great witch out fit of even a grim reaper doi you?
I also kept the guitars....Lee insists that he is not going to play them again. I insist that he is...so they stay!
then we put down some carpet squares...a whole carpet to be fitted would never have got up there! so carpet squares it is......we fitted them in a day....and then we had a great usable space.




I packed up all the dolls Bratz Barbie and all and now they are all moving into the loft along with my big dolls house and book collection....
We now have a play room for big people, as we found a television and playstation 2 in amongst all the stuff we aquired as well.
Lee has some driving games he bought from charity shops and two car seat taken out of the fonz car which are also going up there.

so that is where I am with this at the moment. I have ordered loads of display stands for the dolls, as if we are having a doll room lets do it right.









A proper grown up room for big children. Perfect!!!

I have also started to collect dolls from the 1960s. I have a few Palitoy girls a tiny tears and a bear. specifically bought because they look like a doll in a photo of me a child. I had an old pram full of dolls and raggy dolls golly wogs and the like which was parked in the hall at my parents farm house. The loft by the way in that house was home to my father's train set which he lovingly bought me for a birthday. when I cried in disappointment  he ordered me a doll pram from Guiseley. The loft remained "his" until his death later that year.
That was just before Christmas . Everything had been bought for the celebrations by then and so it was a sorry christmas that year. We were chucked out of the farm in the beginning of the new year and all my dolls and presents were put into boxes.
I never saw them again as mum said there was no room for them where we were going.
So where did we go? place to place. mum went from job to job never really settling and I got sent away to school. No room for anything from childhood here.
So  I am aged "old" having made myself a pink Barbie world of a fantasy childhood that never was.
A psychologists dream I should think.


1 comment:

polkadothill said...

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all of the dolls look like they are having a wonderful party!!!!!!!!! it is the perfect space!!!!!!!! and I love before and after photos!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...