Thursday, August 17, 2017

Over to Ilkley with £1.47 in change.

 The sun is actually out. That is the second day in a row. This is noteworthy in Yorkshire. I dressed confidently in flip flops to take Monza for his morning walk. I intended to get up and weed the garden, as the rain has made every weed in the county into a triffid. I started to edit the damnable Edward story and this took up the time intended for the garden. Lee is sick of hearing about history and effigies and when I read him the blog he fell asleep. So that tells you everything about that one.
 Monza sat patiently on my feet looking out of the french windows. He could not careless about a guy that lived in the times of Queen Elizabeth the first either. He wants to get into the Fonz car and go on a doggy road trip.

 The sun  is hot. so Monza went for his walk and we left him to doze on the kitchen floor. He keeps one eye open though to make sure we do not return without him knowing......

I had also downloaded a lot of stuff from various history libraries and my poor old lap top was struggling to cope with all the crap.
 I deleted all the Edward stuff...and BINGO!!!! it speeded right back up. Whilst deleating loads of stuff I found these photos of The Cow and Calf rocks just by Ilkley. I took these about a year ago....We saw this on the way to Ilkley to day

The sun is too hot for hairy seventy dog years Monza..
We set off to Ilkley with one pound fourty seven in money. We have spent all the rest that I so tediously earned. pox!!!!! really missing the rusty van now we are.  So what were we going to do if there was something great in the junk shops?

Well do not worry. we found nothing. It is summer holidays in Ilkley. everyone is bored and junking. Summer is never a good time anyway.....so we did the free things....
 architecture....The library complete with Nouveau figures.....
We parked up by the super market and set off with our £1.47 in my pocket. We counted this out from change chucked into lees drawer. There is only this much left as I fed the self service till yesterday for some chocolate.
 Theatre exterior...
 The 1970s are back, along with a "costumed" tribute to Abba... Vera Lynn story as a musical and a George Michael tribute are on offer....

I must get myself inside this Theatre. It is another place I pass but have never been inside. There is also a toy museum not far...though there is a charge! so that will be another day too

 We came to the big church on the centre of Ilkley...I have passed this many times......
 To day I got to see inside a modernised old church complete with meeting rooms, theatre and lifts......
 Restaurant/cafe and air conditioning!!!
Now this is weird to me. Though I supose it can not be can it? it is in a church. The cleaner was giving all the glass a polish as there was a wedding later. He explained that there was a lift if I could not get back down the stairs.....I have white hair and flip flops...I supose I must look a bit incapable. He also said just help yourself! take as many photos as you like.
So I did just that Lee sat outside on the bench and had a smoke. He is not big on church interiors....
Though I was gone a worrying amount of time so he came to find me....Maybe I had got kidnaped into a prayer meeting and needed rescue.

We checked charity shops on the way around and our £1.47 and went home past The Chevin pub.
Lee parked up the Fonz in their car park so I could go and take these shots....
Now this pub! we have been here twice. Once before the murder and the second time after the new owners took over and completely refurbished the old place.
It has spectacular views and a lovely menu...perfect for lunch if we had more than £1.47! having said that.....
Lee would never pay that much for lunch! So yes. The murder that happened here. We had just moved to Yeadon, so we did not actually know the landlady that was stabbed and then set alight. She was a local lady murdered by her husband,
He stabbed her in the bedroom and as she lay bleeding he started a fire to hide his crime. The crime was discovered and a murder enquiry was started. At this stage it was a total scandal. The place is on a lonely junction......
The husband is currently still detained at her Majesty's pleasure. He was found out as he moved to Yeadon. He shot his mouth off in a local pub ......drunk he was. Pleased with himself he was. Up to this time there had been no positive leads as to the tragedy. He killed her dog too.
From his confession in a public place he was arrested and convicted. local police were in on a night off.

"shall we have more tea?" asked Lee. I just read him the blog. I need to be careful about the murder story. it is still local and recent. The lady's sister was going to take over the pub and run it as her sister would have wished. The reality was too much. The fire started actually gutted the interior. It was a real oldy worldy place...with lots of history completely destroyed. It has now been newly refurbished. I am told that there have been deaths before in this building. All the owners in this century have died apparently. Though this was the only murder that we know of.

So more tea. get ready to go earn some more money. We still have the £1.47 too.

No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...