Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Black Tom and all that......


All Saints Parish church, Kirk lane Otley. Just about every time we Junk in  Otley I visit . Up to this day I was horrified by the modernisation of this church...which by the way has been here since forever. As far as I can find there has been a place of worship on this site....not always christian either. So I supose it has been updated thousands of times...built rebuilt and new added with each generation. So I am just another who will have to get over it. this visit I quite like the coloured lights!

I always love the colour and atmosphere here ...stained glass I have a real soft spot for.......



Which brings me on to the purpose of my visit this summer day whilst waiting for the inevitable rain......The Fairfax effigies......My fave next to the wooden Mauleverer effigies at Allerton of Knights Templar.....well I think that is what they are....Anyway. Today I am looking at  Lord Fairfax and His wife Ellen Aske.
Their eldest son was "Black Tom" of the Civil war.

Thomas Fairfax  1st Lord Fairfax of Cameron.....(1560-1640)...nobleman soldier and diplomat in the court of Elizabeth 1. In this role he was sent on many diplomatic adventures to Scotland. Both before and after the death of Mary Queen of Scots. He was offered a title by James  of Scotland which he declined.... .He served Elizabeth 1 until her death and then retired to
Denton Hall, near Ilkley and Otley where he lived out his days breading horses and writing about breeding horses. Denton Hall still exists and has changed hands many times over the years. It is not open to the public to poke around and take photos sadly. I would have been if it was. It can however be hired for weddings and conferences and is currently owned by a corporate building firm and run as a venue for business. "the premier Yorkshire event venue".. It is stunningly beautiful and has it's own church as part of the estate. How do I get myself invited to see this for myself then?




This man was their favourite slave. I believe he came back with Lord Fairfax from his travels.

Lady Fairfax. Ellen Aske..... They were married in 1582. Ellen was the daughter of Robert Aske of Aughton . Yorkshire.
As a member of the council of the North he came into contact with Edmund Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave. His eldest son Fernando Fairfax married Sheffield's daughter, Mary in 1607.
 By 1620 his two younger sons were in the "low countrys" with the English army. Lord Fairfax as a "white haired old man" left his cosy retirement and went to join them with an army and horses. Both sons were killed in 1631 at the siege of Frankinthal... (the thirty years war...siege by the Spanish)..then also two more sons died a violent death the same year.  Perigrine at La Rouchelle and Thomas In Turkey.
Fernando Fairfax went on to become "Black Tom" a commander in chief in the civil war...he was called this as he had very dark skin and hair.....
Two other sons Edward and Charles became a poet and lawyer....spending their time compiling the family tree.
Whilst poking around in this family I came across "the witches of Fewston" Who by all accounts were accused by a local poet Edward Fairfax of plaguing him and were tried at York for this offence. They were tried twice and acquitted twice and became known as the Timble witches,...THE WITCHES OF FEWSTON!!!!!! I am on the story now.
The other week when I was on holiday we were to go to Fewston reservoir for a look around. The rain never stopped and we never went. I get paid on Friday....which means that we can put petrol in the Fonz car, load up Monza the dog and go check this out.




1 comment:

polkadothill said...

can't wait to hear what you dig up on the fewston witches!! the Fairfax family had such tragedy with the deaths in the war! ah, yes, the lights in the church cast a dreamy glow! thanks for this blog!!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...