Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Chippy....or Chip-in-Dale.

 The Otley visit this week . We went somewhere different this week. We did all the junky shops including one this week that we do not usually visit....it was too junky and piled high and not too cheap either. The owner has had a rethink and it is now gorgeous. I did not find anything this week but I am confident that I will. There were some wax head dolls...the creapy kind that I do not buy....even so I was tempted. If they are there next visit......te he. Then over to the old Grammar school building.
 Thomas Chippendale was born in Otley.in 1718. Did you know that? well I did and have photographed this statue before......so here he is from my new camera . standing outside his old school.
There is a plaque outside which reads Thomas Chippendale world famous cabinet maker born Otley 1718. Which just about sums it up. His old school is now a posh kind of wine bar.
 A very lovely spot for one too. I had a quick look at the menu......Stew and oyster it is called and this is the food they serve too. It looks totally fabulous. I was very very very tempted to stop for a glass of wine and lunch. I do not drink....tell you I very nearly did start again. who needs to be healthy and live a long life anyway!....I was good. though I have the option still!!!!  Back in the old days when I had money and my health this would have been a delicious hang out for lunch...and probably dinner some weeks  with a taxi home.too. times have changed alot since then. still...I can look. This building was an art gallery up until very recently and we went inside a few times. A lot of very interesting local artists. The interior as been kept as a kind of art gallery with spiral staircase in the centre. Have I sold it to you yet?

any way...back to Thomas Chippendale.  Just about every stately home and big house in Yorkshire that I have visited has a Chippendale piece of furniture...if not more. Bolling Hall my favourite has one in the great hall by the stained glass. 
There was a fish and chip shop in Otley called The Chip-in Dale, it sadly closed but the name is still on the back door. Thomas Chippendale learned his trade from his father as did his father before him. Thomas moved to London and became famous. His furniture is worth a fortune now.....his son took over from him when he retired....
He was the first to come up with a catalogue to order from and offered a complete interior design service. He was from Otley and he stands just by my favourite building.


 This is the Black horse. A victorian favourite building. This is a hotel stuffed with original features.....




 The white house on the Otley Chevin.....
and old square that houses all the antique shops (not the junk shops! these are very different) and cafes....

So day off this week is over. We went and bought some new dog bowls,and some pillows today. Lee is recovering. Even the sugestion of spending money sends him into a spin so it is just as well I am off for an evening shift now.

No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...