Sunday, October 7, 2018

Bradford again. This time Bolling Hall


 We all piled into the Fonz car and set off into the misty rainy day. We were late too. I did not go out to the sun rise yesterday either. I did not go today as I have a head ache that I can not shake (again) Bloody 10 hour shifts are crucifying me. I keep saying that I will say something...and never do. Last night they forgot my break . I just do not cope , and I am going to have to ask for less hours. A real pox as all I have to do is work and get paid..........It is the getting paid part that I need to concentrate on......
So I treated myself to Bolling Hall...a real fave of mine in spite of the headache which I worked through last night and still have this morning.
 We parked in the proper car park as there did not look to be many others about. Monza dog settled down to snooze  and we spent about half an hour touring the old house again....
 I was really pleased to find that it had been redecorated and some of the objects and collections moved around. Oh goody...different photos from this visit.
 The lighting was always dark....this visit it seemed darker?
 Kitchen.... and old scullery. This is my favourite room.
 Civil war display....This has been added to and I have already found some things that are new.
 I had not noted this skull before!.... . I love to find new things on each visit.
The Parlour room.......

Dining room...

Here is Lee on the main staircase with the portrait of the white lady who is my favourite ghost.
This is Caroline Wood and she has been seen on this stair case disappearing along the corridor...Her husband was killed at sea  1728. I think she wandered these rooms in grief....there is a plaque to her in Otley church, as her family were originally from Otley. I wonder to were they married in my fave church too?
The nursery.This visit the room was very different. no dolls!!!! still never mind i have loads of pictures i took here on other visits.
games and black board this time and my fave rocking horse were all still out.

the red bedroom....
and the landing heading to the nursery and.....
bridge over the main hall and spectacular stained glass window with all the family coats of arms. all families who owned and lived here...and yes the Mauleverer crest is up there too.....

The bridge creaks as it is walked over.......and here it is from the other end......
and too the other bed rooms and the haunted room. ....
This is the room I think is haunted. The actual ghost room is around the corner from this one. There are no pictures from this visit as there was a guy in costume telling the story of the civil war siege of Bradford and the ghost that scared the earl of Newcastle so badly!

This is the first owner of Bolling hall. He is in a glass case with his wife in the top bedroom in the original tower house that the rest of Bolling hall has been built around. His costume and some deeds for the house are also in this room. He was called William De Bolling and held the estate from 1120. The Bollings were descendants of the De Thorntons another notable family of that time. John De Bolling (1318) managed to make a good living from this land and incresed the holdings from Todmorden to Morley. Robert de Bolling (1337) Married a cousin Elizabeth Thornton and increased the holdings to include Thornton and Allerton as well. So this family owned almost all of Yorkshire by now.
1487 it all started to go wrong for them as in the wars of the roses they got on the loosing  side and lost the whole lot!
It was confiscated, and begged for and eventually returned in a terrible state of repair. Robert's son Tristram inherited it all, managed to restore some of the glory and by the time his only daughter Rosamund inherited it was once again "worth a fortune". Sir Richard Tempest saw his chance and married Rosamund.



All of this area creaks obligingly! It is great for a dark day in October, when I am feeling really really ill by now. My balance is never good but this day I lost it completely and my vision went squiffy as well to add into the mix. Later on in the day I actually passed out. I thought I just had a headache.
The lay out of the house now leads us back to this bedroom again and I took some more photos. Even in my state of not being able to see that well...I always think there is "something here".....
By this stage my speech was beginning to slurr....so I just shut up and took lots of photos. There are a few stairs back to the old kitchen part.....




Just here in the centre of this picture....

and some down into this room on the right here.....

The civil war room....



The photos turned out really well. My camera did these...as my own vision was totally shot by now. I have since discovered that I was having a migraine attack. ( I did not know!) and this added a whole new dimension to this old place which is a real favourite!!! My balance was shot and the floors are all creaking and uneven any way......
I have seen this picture on other visits, glanced and then carried on. This visit I actually had to study quite hard to see it......lovely isn't it?
another couple of photos and then back to Monza waiting in the Fonz car....


It is Sunday morning. I have to go now. I will finish this later on on my return.
I still have the head ache. I have considered not going out...but I have to so See you later.

Sunday night now. I spent the day with all the classic symptoms of Migraine. I have had these symptoms and headache before but not as bad as this. So I now suffer from Migraine! well at least I know why I feel so ill.

Lee suffers from Migraine. So I do know a bit about it. I got home on Sunday after a horrible day with sqiffy vision, feeling sick and slurred speech, not being able to think straight(even by my standards) and pain all the way down my right side...head arms  neck and pins and needles as well and stated "if I did not know better I would say I have migraine!" well as it turns out I did
 not know better and I do have migraine.

So there is a turn up! At least I know what it is I am dealing with and can now do something about it. I have been doing all the classic things to trigger it as it turned out....like tea! my fave thing and I drink it like a fountain....bananas, chocolate, stress, getting tired on long shifts, staring at computers and mobile phones.....all classic triggers. Lee will tell you that.........
usually at this time i drink more tea. This can not happen just now. So what do I drink now!!!!??????

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

i feel as if I was walking with you and lee.....I love the white dressed ghost and all of the rooms... I want to go back!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...