Thursday, October 25, 2018

On the way.

 We pulled the car over onto a passing point on lane to Guiseley. These cute little horses were in the field. the white one looked at me kinda "what you?" then wasn't bothered. We stopped to get the view in the sun.....which did come out in spite of earlier wind and cloud.
 Monza and Lee waited for me to take photos....

 This one is towards Guiseley on the way to going to Ilkley the "lumpy" country way. The lane that way now has been laid with sleeping policemen. In a car it makes the ride very bumpy and causes Monza to bounce in the back even going at a mile an hour.
 We go this way a lot on the way and I never got a decent photo before. As we were out on a photo fest today we stopped the Fonz car.
 Next ....the Cow and Calf rocks by the Cow and Calf  hotel. Lee pulled over by the moor. This is far enough away from all the people in the car park for Monza to be calm and me to get photos with No people in them. I am right off people today. Really really more than my usual antisocial self.


 As ever. I took far too many photos....and there is not one person to be seen in any of them. I stayed quite high on the moor away from the car park and did not see anyone at all!!! great. ....And the sun came out which made the photos rather good!!!



 This was as close as I got to the car park...with Ilkley in the background . We have climbed up these rocks to see the sensational view....but not today. Monza dog would not make the steep path now anyway. (I just about can with determination)
 Cow and Calf hotel. This used to be a good pub. It now serves really expensive food. .....
 I just kept on taking pictures the view was so beautiful....



 Monza dog really wanted to get out of the car. There are sheep on this moor. So that is a NO!
 Next stop Ilkley.....Boyes department store first, where I bought some fabrics and lace to make retro 1950's inspired doll clothes....this is what I am working on at the moment. I have a Miss Revlon look a like doll that I bought an original (copy) dress pattern for and am making dresses, coats and underwear for her. Hence I had a great shop in the haberdashery department........
 Then a couple of junk shops on the way to All saints church and the Manor house.......
 Saxon cross and stained glass....
 Alter......The last visit here there was a lady handing out guides and making sure we behaved ourselves. This visit there was no one else....and the quiet prayer room containing the Knight's Templar effigy was locked.
 Never mind.....the sun was dappling through the windows making great photos for this day's visit.
 old family pew...There are still plans on the wall to modernise this church with glass and automatic doors etc. I do not know How I feel about that. Does everything in a modern world have to be digital!????
 When the plans first went up they were quite drastic and covered three notice boards....now it looks a lot less. Still at the discussion stage I hope.
 The lectern......







 Then straight out of the church.......
 To the manor house....
 Where I found the white cat enjoying the sun in a flower bed. He would not come out and was of the impression that he did not wish to be disturbed. I left him alone. I know how that feels!.....I was pleased to see him. I always go look for him when we go to Ilkley.
 A few more junk shops heralded nothing.....until I came to Oxfam and I was just about to leave when I spotted this little girl in a cabinet.
"there is a doll! I am not allowed it am I? Yes I want to look. Okay I will ask.......I can?!!!!"
And so Lee bought her for me. Just like that.
 A late 1950's possibly Palitoy doll. She has no markings, but in those days the box had all the information .  Definitely English and definitely 1950's . I have not looked her up yet as I have been sewing. I have other Palitoy dolls with similar face this is my conclusion.!



 Here she is by Betty's tea rooms and the bandstand just outside the shop I found her in.....

We checked the rest of the junk shops and then wandered to the Kings's hall. I wanted to see if we could look around....as I had never been inside.....
 I asked if we could look......and the stage was being set up for a Rod Stewart tribute for the evening...
 And this is the Winter gardens next door.....
 The guy setting up the stage asked where we were from......and then went and got us a book "celebrating 100 years of Ilkley's town hall complex" which is all the history and has some beautiful photos inside....


" Ilkley grew slowly as a place to visit in summer for the pure cold water at White Wells and the fresh air. Hydros were built, starting with Ben Rhydding in 1844. With the arrival of the railway in 1865 and the availability of attractive building plots from 1867 Middleton family land sales, the village grew from 1,043 in 1861 to 7,455 in 1901.

The community was developing a sense of self and its need for public buildings. By 1880s the local board were discussing the need for a council chamber and assembly hall. In 1890 a committee was established to organise the purchase of a field at Golden Butts for services like the abattoir, fire station and stables........"

"....1903 this committee advertised a competition with £100 prize to design the buildings.The cost of entry was a guinea. There were sixty entries. The Leeds architect GM Bulmer was paid £50 as assessor, In May 1904 the winner was announced, William Bakewell of Leeds for his plan called "economy"......

....the estimated cost of Bakewell's design was £13,000......"

From the book called Ilkley, The kings hall. which was given to me on my visit.

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

you always make the most of everyday... I love it!!!!!!!!!!! and a sweet new doll too=perfect!!!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...