Thursday, April 12, 2018

Headingly junk.


 Headingly. Student mecca in Leeds. The old stomping ground of Lee when he was a rock n' rolla.
Lee both lived and played here. Had a flat in one of the huge Victorian houses he did with his fiancee  when he .owned rehearsal studios and played rock guitar
We have not been here for a long while since the rusty van was towed away. Student mecca and old customers were the Leeds students from when we ran a man with a van business doing student moves.

 Lee came up with the bright and deice idea of buying some electrical cable. the place to buy this is Wilkinson's in Headingly. With great excitement we realised that we could park the Fonz car in the multistory car park. This is excitement? yep. this is excitement. As the rusty van could not be parked in this . he was basically too tall and could not fit under the max headroom bar at the entrance. so for the last ten years we have not been into any kind of car park such as this. When I first came to Leeds just over eleven years ago now I gave Lee a Jeep cherokee. This we parked in this multistory. Then we did the pubs and junk shops and bought a sandwich in between all this. eleven years ago parking a
multistory car park was never given a second thought.

We needed some electrical bits anyway. we bought a bit of a wacky light in Ikea. so off we went to the junk shops in Headingly Leeds on the way around to do this.



 The junk shops in Headingly are very very trendy and retro. Most ...if not all of the stuff I have owned at some point.Some of them looked just like my house. For example the photos above. I already own all these things.
 I have wool by the pile.......
 and a few half finished patchwork. This one was £15.00 and they claimed it was 1930s. I would place it more late 1970s early 1980s but hey. what do I know? it is just that I used to do patchwork in the 1980s....we all did!!! that and Kaffe Fassett tapestries....anyway I was the manager of the haberdashery and it all looks a lot familiar.
 yep. got all this. and the sewing machine...which by the way was priced at £100.00......
 Got one!!! an even older version. mine was given to me .

Loads and loads of vinyl on offer. most of the shops had whole floors dedicated to this. I have a fair amount myself already......This "third eye foundation" album caught my eye, i noted the "Jolly's funeral shop" front on this cover. It is BATH!!! this funeral directors was originally part of the old department store that I worked at. The old morgue was still all there with it's storage shelves and the old chapel of rest was a cafe in my day. now the old chapel of rest was the fabric storage room for my fabric and haberdashery department.....the funeral directors had relocated. I was the only one who would go to this store.
So here we are again.....haberdashery and Bath. Blasts from the past.

Who are Third eye foundation? well I had never heard of them until just finding this album. I looked them up and discovered them to be a Bristol band. I looked up the singer. Yep I recognised him.

"There was a time when The Third Eye Foundation was the mirror of the world from which the group drew its substance. But the reflection faded and dirt accumulated so it only provided deformed images and gradually became the world's shadow. This willingness to look at and express images and words about humans and their environment has since been embodied in the completely open face of its founder, Matt Elliott. Thus, The Third Eye Foundation is a discrete entity, the opposite of what Matt Elliott may otherwise represent."
I borrowed this. I could not have written it in a thousand years filled with wine. But you get the idea? 
I did not buy the album. I said to Lee "best look it all uP!" 

 we crossed over the road from the junk shops . That is without getting run over as Lee had a firm grip on my hand. He does not let go of me where roads are concerned. I have no sense of danger or direction!......this trip to Headingly was a real trip down memory lane.....This building was where Lee's granddad worked before his retirement to Coventry. It was a council offices in those days. I am not sure what it is this day.
 " That...was Grandad Wilson's office window" said Lee.
 Back past the Methodist church and to Wilkinsons to buy what we need to fix up the zazzy light we bought.

Today is now the next day after Headingly. We are not going over to Ilkley as planned . The mist and rain are still taking over all the views. I came in last night and Monza was mornfully waiting for me. I promised him that I would spend the whole day with him and not go off somewhere else and leave him.'

No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...