Friday, September 15, 2017

Whitby. the good stuff

Monza just came and woke me up. So I gave him a tickle and got him a new bowl of water. This was not what he wanted. He had come to get me up.....as this is when I would go out to take early photos. My need to take a photo this day is over shadowed by my visit to Whitby. I took over 300 yesterday like a kid in a sweet shop I was. I ran out the battery on new camera and mobile phone.....this was before we got to the top of Skinner street.


Whitby I noted with sadness has changed. I recognised it but my familiarity was gone. We parked by the station. This has all been done out and there is a bar in there called the waiting room, along with a heritage steam train for tourists now. So how do people go about normal business? 
Anyway. I am getting a head of myself.
First I need to edit photos. a lot I am just deleting as I got much finger happy and carried away by the excitement of the sea air. It went straight to my trigger finger.

 The day started with Lee taking me over to Huby to meet Mary, Lee and Bonnie  and Dixon at their farm cottage. I have just loaded up the few photos I have picked and there were 91. What did I think I was going to do with all the photos??? I will just put them on facebook I suppose. Seems a bit daft though doesnt it?
Anyway the morning was sunny and beautiful and Whitby beconned.
 On the way there was a rainbow. The last time I went toWhitby was with Mary and Lee . They have been before. I had just had 8 hours of surgery, where I had been cut in half and then reconfigured from the parts left over that the surgeon thought fit to reattach. so the 199 steps had practically annihilated me for a week.

 So a beautiful day and the drive to Whitby went remarkably well. we arrived and parked by the station. Then first things first....Bagdale hall Where Mary and Bonnie are related to Browne Bushell all the way back in time to the civil war. His family lived at this house. He was executed, for charges brought against him by his own father in law for piracy. He haunts this old house to this day if the tourist blurb is to be believed. rattles his chain and ball he does.....the old place is now a hotel, and was also owned by the Newton family...that is as   Issac Newton the mathematician and scientist.
 


They were not botherered about going in to the building or any further investigation. Whitby abbey, the church and a very juicy looking junk shop we just passed held far more apeal. I started to take pictures of shops and places I did remember of old and we went into a junk shop too. I bought a replica of a Robinsons marmalade golly wog.


We passed the old smuggler. I wanted to go in. We always called in here for a cup of tea before the train back home on Whitby days. We had a lot of Whitby days did my grandmother and I.She later lived in a flat by Bagdale hall too.



 
Some of the old shops still exist, but it is mostly charity shops, cafes and expesive run of the mill tourist stuff. a lot of dracula too


 We headed along past all the juicey charity shops. we girls managed to slip into one, but the men were very fed up so we got on with the job of tourism and went to the harbour.

 Some things remain the same. However I note palm trees have been planted. When did Whitby ever have Palm trees?





 We encountered a pirate. after all it was what we came here to find. He was selling boat trips.....as the weather was so fierce they could not go out to sea he said it would be just around the harbour today
"Ohhhh! "I said to Lee" can we go ?"
"Ah dont think so" said Lee practicing his best Yorkshire accent with a twinge of Californian.
 So over the swing bridge we trotted.....
 It looks like a beautiful warm summers day. It was a beautiful warm day, but do not be fooled the wind was a rabid beast.

 At the other side we headed past Grape lane. ...
 and to the lovely old streets now stuffed with tourist crap and well....tourists, As I am now one myself enough said.



 
Again I started to take photos of places I recognised.....not a lot actually.






We came to the 199 steps and all I could do was hang on to my skirt and go for it. It was not a good time to think that I should have worn a straight skirt.......
I got some totally sensational pics......here are a small few of the full amount I actually took.....





 The climb this time was really easy . I could breath this year. The last climb was a bit arduous due to the Wheezing and almost passing out at the top. None of that this time. Though Mary needed a sit down. Actually so did I but I just had a quick lean....and then on with the job.
 The church never changes...but the amount of people inside it does. It was shuffle space.

 Caedmons Cross and the runes,,,,,

 Views views views.








I used to come here with my last husband too. We would spend the day seeing the sights and going to all the local pubs whilst staying with my grandma.
Some days we walked along the cliffs to Ravenscar and the hotel that was lost in time. An art deco hotel. I wonder if that has been modernised too.
 

We all got very battered by the wind. Everyone else sat on the bench until it was time to go inside the church.







 The old Mansion fascard now has a museum/information shop thing built behind it.I quickly went in but reilized everyone else was not behind me and went back to find them.

 It was by now hungry time. After the amount of fresh air we had been blasted with we were all starving








 Back down 199 steps we went and then to

The Duke of York.
This is still there, same interior or there abouts and fresh cooked food. the freinds I am here with on a family fact finding trip are American. Going to a pub for lunch is just not in their zone. It is the way we are here in Yorkshire. So we all sampled proper fish and chips and a good old pub. Mary and Bonnie do not eat fish which is strange for ladies with their Yorkshire pedigree , so Bonnie had a pie and Mary "something posh"...still good old pub grub though! Mary had wanted to go to Marie Antionetes tea rooms.
So now they can tick off "proper pub grub served in a proper old pub" off their Yorkshire tourist list.


 Whilst eating our lunch Mary and I espied a photo oportunity. So when we had all finished eating....we had everyone go down to the little beach below......






 We had more freinds to meet. I had been texting Jayne and Paul all day as to where we had got to.....and they were heading to Whitby.......



 So we left the Abbey side of Whitby and recrossed the swing bridge and headed past a lot of new to me shops to the whale bone arch.

And suddenly there we all were posing in front of the whale bone arch. 



 We has a quick squeel and gossiped all the way back to the car. Jayne and Paul were a bit later than they hoped.....but never mind Jayne and Paul you only live down the road......
 By now the battery had died on my camera and the life left in my phone was failing........
 I had one last finger happy splee,,,,,




 Quickly dived into a junk shop on the harbour and bought a doll...I just could not help myself....t
 said googbye To Whitby and Jayne and Paul......the Seagull came to see us off.

1 comment:

polkadothill said...

your photos and recollection are excellent!!!!!!!!!!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...