Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The excitement builds.The ruins await.



I have a plan.I am going on the Heritage tour of this castle on the 9th of September. I am really excited. This is a whole day out for us and Monza dog and I could not get the time off work either, so have to come back and then do an evening shift. It has to be done! I have spent so much time researching this and the last family to own and live here. It just has to be done! and that is that.
So the story is this......The reason this family and story keeps drawing me back , even when I have tried to walk away and move on, I then find another piece to the puzzle and I am right back researching and collecting information. This castle is the latest piece of the very tangled and long history of this Mauleverer family that I have come across. So off I am going on an open day which only happens once a year and it has to be this day that I go.
As far as I can tell I am not related to this family, though there may be a tenuos connection from Mary Boleyn, Henry v111's famous mistress .who s first two children may be Henry's illegitimate s. I know we are definitely related to Madge Sheldon  from the wrong side of the bed sheets and that Madge was a mistress of Henry's during Anne Boleyn's Reign. Anne arranged for her cousin Madge to be his mistress when she was pregnant.....to distract him from Jane Seymour so the story goes.
The Mauleverer family are ancient. They came here as Knights with William The Conqueror and took over Yorkshire, married and intermarried and became related to or owner of every piece of this county.
So today Is Tuesday.

I have recived the confirmation Email

Ayton Castle - Heritage Open Days tour 1.00pm


Inbox
x

Scarborough Archaeology scarborough.archaeology@btinternet.com

20:03 (12 hours ago)
 to
Hello
Thank you for booking on the 1;00pm guided tour of Ayton Castle
Some of the publicity information which has gone out is incomplete.
Please note we meet at the interpretation board on Mill Green, not at the Castle.Participants will walk as an accompanied group from Mill Green to the Castle.
If coming by car, there is no parking at Ayton Castle. Please do not park on adjacent streets (Castle Rise, Mill Lane and Yedmandale Road) . Participants are asked to park in the village such as Ayton Village Hall car park which is nearby. The village hall will be open for the Ayton heritage day where there will be an exhibition. Toilet facilities will be available there
Chris



All I have to do is hope that the weather is not like this day. We have torrential rain. I should be used to it however I think the whole visit will be much unpleasant if it is raining. As you see from the above video I borrowed from u tube. The ruins are in the middle of nowhere.

I have printed out every bit of information I can find and planned the day for my visit. So all I can do is hope for the best and that I find the answers I am looking for. Then I can relinquish all my finding to their rightfull recipients and move on. This is not my family, though I have been lured in by Edmund Mauleverer and his sad story. After this tour of the castle , I have books of notes from Quaker meetings stored at Hull university to see. I am waiting for an Email back to confirm a visit to the Quaker archives.  As I say ...it is not really my search or my family, so hopefully I can hand the task of searching the Quaker records to the rightful relatives shortly. 

The intrugue here was "why did they become Quakers? and why did they emigrate?" this was my first question and I am now close to finally finding the answer. I have many theories!....but now I am so close to finding out. 

Wednesday.

I had an Email back from The Archives at Hull university. There is mountains and mountains of material that needs to be gone through.

Decision made. It will not be me that goes through it all, I shall relinquish the task to the families decendents who will be visiting Yorkshire this week. At the moment there are no firm plans for places to visit relating to family history though they are booked into local acomodation so that is a great start.
  So I publish my findings in this blog so that they can pick up on it and decide for themselves what is to be done with all the information. 

Also I have been asked what hours I want to work for next week. I need to grab these as it is all "overtime" we rely on this. I can not aford to dither about!

 As there are no firm plans and no meetings arranged and I do not get paid unless I work. We need the money and I know I have to work at least 38 hours a week to get the "right amount of money"!!! 
So I am taking the work. It is not my family and not my holiday.

I am up early again and have time to put all my notes from the beginning into one folder, which I can take with me. The tour of the castle is one hour! I am hoping to find out how they lived and explore the area......We are going to arrive early and hopefully I will get to see some parts of Scarborough too.

I have not been to Scarborough for years! My mum always took me there in the summer holidays and I went to boarding school just by Scarborough and most Saturdays we went into town on the bus in the sixth form. I used to go AWOL and go out for the day a lot. no one much noticed or cared. So!!!! a day out to scarborough on Saturday.


Here is the answer from Hull.







1 comment:

polkadothill said...

thank you, thank you for all of the information!!! it is all getting so close now.... so excited...printing everything up!

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...