Saturday, September 30, 2017

Funny old raggy doll.

 Market day in Otley. We went over a bit later and had to cue in traffic to park up before the junk shop visits. I came on late last night and started poking around searching google for Quaker records in Burlington county New England. There is tons and tons of it. I have fallen into "old Edmunds rattlings" again and I am looking for Matthew Watson and his wife Anne Pierson, who was married to Edmund before his death. This story is still bugging me and drawing me in. So there I was poring over millions of words from these on line records until well after midnight.....
This is wildly too late for me and I am tired now. Hence why we were going over to Otley later than I would have liked. You would think that I must know everything there is to know by now! but "old Edmund" still rattles around .
So first a doggy walk! up to the old grave yard in the rain. This is just by the airport which was rather interesting today as Three fighter planes were zapping around. Lee told me they were American.
 Then over to Otley through the traffic to park up and fight our way through to the 20p shop. This would be why I like to be early out. I shall remember that next time "old Edmund" starts to rattle and pull my strings to get me to look into his life......I do not do late at all well. It makes me grumpy and I miss the best bit of the day...the sun coming up.
So 20p shop!!!!! I found this old raggy doll which needs the neck restuffing....she is a characterful one this girl. I originally saw her in a basket...picked her up and had a look....then put her back when I caught Lees eye...he was giving me the wrinkled nose. Which basically means NO!
 I went through the rest of the shop, finding a picture of a fairy in a shell frame and then went back to rescue her. She is currently sitting on the stool in the kitchen.
So what am I going to do with this 20pence raggy doll that is actually quite sweet? I think restuff the neck but otherwise let her alone to live out the rest of her days in peace. She is very badly made and I dread to think what I am going to find as stuffing!

She looks like she has been mended as well, so some one loved her. I think that is the least I can do for her is give her a home any way......

She is very home made and her clothes are of 1980s poplin type fabric.....I have not seen that for years in fact since the 1980s!!! so I conclude that is when she was made.
a modern old raggy. er hang on there the 1980s were 37 years ago!!!!!!
 A broken neck she had. So i unpicked some of the stitching at one side and restuffed the space where the two lots of stuffing had separated........ and yes I found out what she is stuffed with. It is Kapok ...I am not sture if that is how it should be spelled but that is what it was called. I have not seen that either for a lot of years. It was bought by the bag........I used to sell it in my haberdashery department in the 1980s ......I worked in a department store.
 This lettering/signature was on her lower back. I can not make it out........
 And here she is with her neck restuffed. her arms have been reattached too.....that is of course unless she was made to look like this on purpose. like some of the primitive folk art raggy dolls I have made from American patterns for "art dolls" these are aged and stained to look just like this.
 all the stitching around the arms and legs shows and is quite messy.......
 Lee says she needs a good wash. I am going to leave her as I found her. I have repaired the neck and put her into a dress I found another doll wearing, and put her own clothes back on her.....

I was thinking that I would replace her hair with new wool, but I now think I will leave her as she is. for now she will live on the kitchen stool by the doors.


No comments:

An old one. Let's go Barbie!

aThe breakers yard,,,,,Lets go Barbie!........ A girly place to go!? ......well yes on this day     It turned out very well.  ...